Foster’s arrived early in morning. Having the right tools is essential! We will be in the market for closed end metric ratchet wrenches, we only have open end ones on board. The rest of the day was spent doing laundry, Danielle worked an 8 hr day, and I created this blog. Meanwhile back at boat, Dan installed our new Zarcor companion way doors and replaced the dingy bow U bolt. We patronized a local restaurant for dinner, M and M’s from the advice of fellow thistle sailer and friend, Adam Ankers. After dinner we shared a few with the boat docked next to us, Ed Armstrong. He has a blog too, 1977 Cape Dory 28, https://sailingthevirginialee.blogspot.com/
This morning we made a few phone calls, to get in touch with a recommended mechanic. We sailed down the sound to Oriental NC, where we docked late afternoon at Whittaker Marina with the help of a tow from Boat US. An appointment was made with Foster’s Mobile Marine Service for Friday morning.
We pulled up anchor around 7am, motored thru to The Pungo River. The winds were fair so we set sail on Pamlico Sound. The engine was turned off, it was a great sail. Only later did we realize the engine wouldn’t start. We trouble shot while sailing, with Danielle at the helm, without Navigation, to conserve power, she did an awesome job getting us around a very large shoal and the “circle of danger” with the help of Google Maps, a chart on Dan’s computer and the knowledge of navigation lights. We set anchor near Swan Creek, continued to trouble shoot with the help of buddies on the Island Packet Yacht Owners Association Facebook group.
We had wanted to experience the Dismal Swamp, but advice from 2 sources, we decide to ride the ICW. We experienced our first lock, it was a 1.5 foot drop but a lock just the same. We continued down the canal to about midnight, anchored just south of the Alligator Swing Bridge, in the Alligator River. Did I mention it was cold?
Later in day we walked about a mile to a Food Lion to pick up a few items. A Lyft took to a Walgreens, then another back to the marina. While on the second Lyft, Dan noticed the driver’s cell phone holder was missing, he offered to give him one we brought with us from our car. We had hoped the Garmin InReach would fit, but it didn’t. The driver graciously accepted Dan’s offer, but then Dan asked if the driver could do him favor. While we were unpacking our clothes, Dan decided there were several items he wanted to part with, stuffed them into a large brown plastic trash bag. He asked the driver if could drop off this bag of clothes to a charity, so Dan gave the driver the cell phone holder along with a bag of clothes. We went back to the boat, unload our groceries, went to dinner at the marina restaurant, Surfrider Restaurant & Bar.
After dinner we shared a bottle of wine with the people we were docked next to. Bill and Linda Knowles, founders of the Salty Dawg Sailing Association. It was a great evening of telling sailing stories as well receiving great advice from them.
We are employing the services of a weather router, Chris Parker from Weather Center, so far his prediction have been spot on. They recommended we take shelter by 9am Sunday and stay till Tuesday to avoid a front with gale force winds on the ocean. We spent 2 nights at the Blue Water Yachting Center in Hampton, VA. Sunday, a very rainy windy day, was spent organizing and stowing away everything we brought on board.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with family!
On Friday the 29th, Dan and I headed down to the boat to get an early start on loading up the boat. Our children came down to see us off, Luke & Mecca with Autumn, Alyssa and Madison, Ben & Rachael, Beth & Kevin with Max and Dylan, and Mike. Some of our friends also showed up to help. Craig and Becky Smith, Paul Prozillo, Brian Snader and Craig Prinski. The guys helped Dan re-install the stay sail and the code sail, as well as wash the boat deck. Becky helped me unpack and put away our provisions.
Beth went live on Facebook with the video below, we left the dock at 12:02pm.
We are employing the services of a weather router, Chris Parker from Weather Center, so far his prediction have been spot on. They recommended we take shelter by 9am Sunday and stay till Tuesday to avoid a front with gale force winds on the ocean. We spent 2 nights at the Blue Water Yachting Center in Hampton, VA.